We’re all into transition season right now as temps drop and fall gets closer, so why not prepare your closet in a spooky way?
My closet is only going to get spookier, and more alternative, with some classical rock n’ roll vibes that I maintain as I dive into who I am. When I think about the word “spooky” – I just break it down by definition it as whatever isn’t “normal,” ya know?
For whatever reason, black is a taboo color in American society. I’m guessing that this is because we tend to associate it with death, or mourning. It’s not supposed to be a color (or state of mind) that we want to be in for too long. However, goths, alternative fans, and music nerds alike have turned to this color to represent being an outcast – likely for the reasons I mentioned previous. It’s simply about going against the status quo.
I do happen to prefer the color myself. I think it goes nicely with my god given natural black hair.
When I decided to spookify my closet and really dive into this part of myself, I tried to find pieces that I knew were transition, fun, and I could see turning into multiple outfits. Here’s what I found!
- This KILLSTAR sweater, not too heavy or too light – perfect for changing weather. It does come in a variety of colors, but I chose black and green because I like them.
- This lightweight KILLSTAR batwing blouse. Perfect for spooky season! I recommend ordering your natural size. Don’t size up or down. Ladies, base it on cup size. This blouse breathes, so it won’t necessarily cling to you.
- These Dr. Marten creepers, which are perfect for weather that isn’t dramatic.
- This black denim vest I found on Amazon. Add it to a t-shirt for an extra layer! You can even throw a long sleeve top under it.
- This “creepy” white tee from Gothic Lamb (a wonderful black owned company) that works with every cardigan or jacket ever.
- This open front cape blazer from Shein, which will keep the shoulders warm but allow the rest of you to breathe.
Most of these shops are size inclusive, so keep searching to find your perfect fit! Happy almost fall, ya’ll!